When I’m reading and asking the ENSPEC questions (see previous blog) and come across a verse that grabs my attention but I’m not sure I fully understand its meaning I do a couple of things
1. I read it in context. I read the verses around it again to see if they help give understanding.
2. I use Bible Gateway and compare the verse in multiple translations ( I tend to look at the NLT ESV NCV CEV AMP GNT NKJV NIrV and JB PHILLIPS (NT only – paraphrase) and sometimes The MSG Paraphrase
3. If there’s a word I’m not sure about I’ll type the word in Bible Gateway under word search and see how the word is used in other places in Scrioture.
4. I sometimes use Study Light in looking at the original language of the passage.
5. I talk to trusted mature Christians and ask them about it.
6. And I have a number of commentaries I read – but this is usually the last resort and used primarily when I’m studying.
If you’re just getting started – you might consider steps 1-3, & 5